Atmore’s Huskey, Lady Warhawks prepare for seasonPublished 1:48pm Wednesday, July 25, 2012
The 2012 volleyball team for Jefferson Davis Community College will tip off their season Monday, Aug. 27 with a home game at 6 p.m.
The schedule for JDCC this season shows 20 total games and three tournaments. JDCC will play 10 home games and 10 away games with tournaments scheduled to be played at Pensacola State, Lawson and Wallace State.
JDCC will have 14 conference games against seven conference foes. Conference opponents for JDCC this year include Wallace State, Snead, Faulkner, Lawson, Southern Union, Gadsden and Wallace-Selma.
After seeing her team struggle in 2011, going 2-24 overall and 0-14 in their conference, head coach Misti Nims said she is looking forward to the 2012 season.
“With 10 returners coming back, we have a lot of experience,” Nims said. “We know what we need to do to get back to the region tournament and with the experience of the four new freshman, that goal is fully attainable with a lot of hard work and dedication.”
Returning for JDCC for the 2012 season will be Kiki Youngblood, Tara Gafford, Jenny Daniels, Tori Bracewell, Nyia Underwood, Amber Huskey, Arissa Bray, Amber McMillan, Sarah Litteken and Shelby Weidenhamer.
“KiKi was an all-region player from last season who has increased her strength on the front line,” Nims said. “I am looking forward to seeing what she brings to the team this season with her power and height. Tara has increased her mobility and strength. We may see her more in the middle this year, but she also can play the right side to help with blocking.”
Nims said Daniels has also increased her strength and hitting power.
“I will look to her for leadership as she was a captain as a freshman,” Nims said. “Tori is the quiet leader that leads by example. She is an all-around player that looks for open spots on the court to score. Nyia has increased her strength and court awareness also. She will help out in all three positions on the front row as well as play some back row.”
Atmore’s Huskey will be a right hitter for JDCC this season.
“She has increased her strength and hitting power also,” Nims said. “She has great court awareness and picks up on the block very well. Arissa has fine-tuned her setting plays and will be an important part of running our offense. Amber has increased her reaction time and will prove passing support for our hitters Sarah will go back to her original spot from setter to defensive specialists this season. She has great court awareness and point one passing. Shelby has also increased her court awareness and strength and will help out on the back row with her experience.”
Incoming freshmen for JDCC this season will be Kayla White, Liz McCrary, Morgan McCullough and Kyndal Cunningham.
“Kayla brings a wealth of knowledge,” Nims said. “She can play all the way around. I will look to her to not only be a leader but also become a starter for us. She is an exciting player to watch because of her enthusiasm on the court. Liz is eager to learn and get better. She has a great serve and is a hustle player. Morgan has power on the front line and is also eager to learn. She knows the game well and will work hard on the court. Kyndal is an exciting player to watch as well. She will provide power and blocking ability to the front line. She can also play multiple positions.”
Here is the complete schedule for JDCC volleyball this season:
• Monday, Aug. 27, University of Mobile-JV, Home, 6 p.m.
• Tuesday, Aug. 28, Gulf Coast, Home, 6 p.m.
• Friday-Saturday, Aug. 31-Sept. 1, Pensacola State College Tournament, Away, TBA
• Tuesday, Sept. 4, Pensacola State College, Away, 6 p.m.
• Thursday, Sept. 6, Wallace State, Home, 3 p.m.
• Tuesday, Sept. 11, Gulf Coast, Away, 6 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 14, Sneads State, Home, 6 p.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 15, Lawson State Tournament, Away, TBA
• Tuesday, Sept. 18, Faulkner State, Away, 6 p.m.
• Thursday, Sept. 20, University of Mobile-JV, Away, 7:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, Sept. 25, Pensacola State College, Home, 6 p.m.
• Wednesday, Sept. 26, Lawson State, Away, 6 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 28, Southern Union, Home, 4 p.m.
• Tuesday, Oct. 2, Gadsden State, Away, 4 p.m.
• Tuesday, Oct. 2, Sneads State, Away, 6:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 4, Gadsden State, Home, 6 p.m.
• Monday, Oct. 8, Faulkner State, Home, 6 p.m.
• Wednesday, Oct. 10, Wallace-Selma, Away, 6 p.m.
• Tuesday, Oct. 16, Wallace-Selma, Home, 6:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 18, Wallace State, Away, 6 p.m.
• Friday-Saturday, Oct. 19-20, Wallace State Tournament, Away, TBA
• Tuesday, Oct. 23, Lawson State, Home, 7:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 25, Southern Union, Away, 6:30 p.m.
• Friday-Saturday, Nov. 2-3, Region Tournament, TBA, TBA