County buildings ruled gun-free zonesPublished 10:22pm Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Escambia County Commissioners designated a number of county-controlled buildings as annexes Monday — a move that will allow the county to prohibit firearms and other weapons from being brought in by visitors.
“In order to be able to protect our employees and the public, it is a wise move to designate annexes to be included in prohibiting guns in the building,” County Administrator Tony Sanks told commissioners.
Commission Chairman David Stokes agreed, saying the designation of certain buildings would further allow officials to protect everyone.
“All of the properties that we control will be designated as annexes,” Stokes said. “That will be done for the purpose of not allowing guns in those places.”
Sanks said signs would be purchased and erected as soon as possible to further inform the public of the prohibited items in the facilities.
“These buildings included in the designations are owned by the county and can be designated as an annex,” Sanks said. “Typically, if we had one facility large enough to house all of these departments, they would be in one place. But, since we are spread out, those buildings housing those departments are considered annex locations to the Escambia County Courthouse.”
Commissioners voted unanimously to approve the designation for county-controlled facilities including:
• 100 Henderson St., Brewton – Annex I.
• 318 Belleville Ave., Brewton – Annex II.
• 1 Henderson St., Brewton – Annex III.
• 301 Belleville Ave., Brewton – County Board of Education.
• 316 Court St., Brewton – Detention Center.
• 8600 U.S. Highway 31, Atmore – Satellite Office.
• 3207 Pea Ridge Road, Brewton – Road Department.
• 13533 U.S. Highway 29, Brewton – Road Department.
• 3227 Pea Ridge Road, Brewton – Community Action Office.
• 3251 Pea Ridge Road, Brewton – Road Department.
• 175 Ag Science Drive, Brewton – Agricultural Science Center.
• 351 Jack Springs Road, Atmore – Road Department.
• 326 Evergreen Ave., Brewton – Department of Human Resources.
• 1115 Azalea Place, Brewton – Health Department.
• 315 St. Nicholas Ave., Brewton – Sheriff’s Office.
• 394 St. Nicholas Ave., Brewton – Sheriff’s Office.
• 717 Douglas Ave., Brewton – Community Corrections.
• 27330 U.S. Highway 31, Flomaton – Humane Society/Animal Control.