Chiefs get preparedPublished 5:36pm Tuesday, August 12, 2014
Northview coach Sid Wheatley said his team has had “good energy” through the first week of practice.
“We haven’t been able to practice in full pads yet, but the kids still have had some good energy and have been willing to learn,” he said. “They’ve been receptive to the things the coaches have been telling them. We’re just making sure everyone is on the same page.”
Florida schools opened their practice schedule Monday, Aug. 4, but they were not allowed to have full contact with pads until this past Monday, Aug. 11. Friday afternoon, Wheatley said he could tell that his players were anxious to get back to full-speed, full-contact practice.
“I definitely think they’re anxious to hit again,” he said. “We want to be a physical team this year, and the players are excited to get back to full contact.”
Wheatley said the first week of practice included a lot of special teams work, as well as learning the different formations on offense and defense.
Northview finished the 2013 season with a record of 4-7, falling in the second round of the Florida Class 1A Rural playoffs. Two years ago, the Chiefs won the state title.
Wheatley said that this year’s schedule would again be a tough one. It includes games against Class 4A Marianna, Class 4A Walton and Class 6A Choctaw, as well as district games against Baker, Jay and Freeport. Baker is the defending district champion, and finished 10-0 in the regular season in 2013.
“We’re going to have a tough schedule but our team is looking forward to the challenge,” he said.
All games kick off at 7 p.m. Northview’s complete schedule is as follows:
• Friday, Aug. 29 — Northview at Bozeman
• Friday, Sept. 5 — Marianna at Northview
• Friday, Sept. 12 — Chipley at Northview
• Friday, Sept. 26 — Northview at Choctaw
• Friday, Oct. 3 — Jay at Northview (homecoming, district game)
• Friday, Oct. 17 — Northview at Freeport (district game)
• Friday, Oct. 24 — Walton at Northview
• Friday, Oct. 31 — Northview at Baker (district game)
• Friday, Nov. 7 — Blountstown at Northview (senior night)