Chiefs taste victory with preseason win over Flomaton

Published 8:19 am Wednesday, August 30, 2000

Advance Managing Editor
It may not count on paper, but when the Northview Chiefs defeated the Flomaton Hurricanes 21-6 in a preseason game on Saturday, it marked the first time in 13 games that the Chiefs have walked off the field with their score higher than the opposition.
Although it was a jamboree game, both schools played as if it were the playoffs.
Northview's new head coach, David Williams, said he was pleased with his squad's performance, but added that there were some mistakes that need to be corrected before they host Jay High School this week in the first game of the season.
One of the keys for the Chiefs this year will be the play of many younger kids who need to gain experience to relieve some of the upperclassmen, especially as the season wears on.
Northview jumped on top of the Hurricanes early. Halfway through the first quarter, the Chiefs took the lead on a 7-yard run by quarterback Kyle Williams.
On their next possession, the Hurricanes began to drive again. Leonte Wright, who got a lot of work in at the tailback position, had a good night running. But, with 1:48 to go in the first quarter, he pulled down a pass and ran for a 9-yard gain to the Cane 23. Despite the gain, the Chiefs were still 7 yards short of the first down marker. Opting to go for it, Flomaton made a critical error when they were called for defensive holding. The 10-yard penalty gave Northview a first down at the 9-yard line. Wright's number was called again and he carried the ball to the two. After another run for about half a yard, the first quarter came to an end.
On the very first play of the second half, Chase Lasley put his head down and went through the defensive line for a touchdown.
Ben Gilmore's point after was good and the Chiefs held a 14-0 lead.
The following kickoff was returned by Flomaton to their own 35-yard line. The Hurricane offense finally got on track and after three plays they found themselves in Chief territory at the 42-yard line. A facemask penalty on the next play moved the line of scrimmage to the 22.
An illegal procedure call moved the ball back to the 24-yard line. The following two plays were runs for a total of six yards. With the ball at the Chief 18, the Hurricanes were looking at fourth down and 6-yards to go to keep their drive alive. They handed the ball to Brian Hastings, who had a good night for Flomaton, and he gained the needed yardage plus one more. Kyle Henderson took the next handoff and rumbled to the 5-yard line.
The first critical error of the night came on the next play as the Chiefs sacked the Flomaton quarterback, Jessie Allgood, and forced a fumble. O'neil Dubose picked the ball up and had clear sailing to the opposite end zone. But, a clipping call brought the ball back to the Northview 12-yard line.
The Chiefs were driving down field once again. With just under a minute to go at the Cane 35-yard line, Williams throw deep. Instead of finding a Chief, a Flomaton defender came down with the pass.
But, the Flomaton possession was short-lived. On the very first play, a Northview defender gets his fingers on a pass and tips it just enough to cause an interception and the Chiefs got the ball back with 46 seconds to go in the half.
The Chiefs were able to get a drive going, but time was not on their side as they got to the Flomaton 14 when the buzzer sounded.
Neither team was able to get in the end zone during the third.
The Hurricanes failed to convert on a fourth down play at the Northview 34-yard line in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter.
On the very next play, K. Williams lofted a pass deep to Jonathan Andrews, a speedy wide receiver, who hauled down the pass and left the Flomaton secondary watching as he trotted in for the score. The PAT was good and Northview held a comfortable 21-0 lead.
Turnovers continued to haunt both teams in the fourth. On the next possession for the Hurricanes, they dropped the ball after getting to their own 49-yard line. On the next play, Northview quarterback Daniel Kelley threw an interception, which was returned to the Chiefs' 24-yard line.
With 4:56 remaining on the clock, O'neil Dubose took the handoff and ran 13 yards, dragging defenders into the end zone for Flomaton's first score. Their PAT chance was no good.
K. Williams had a good night for the Chiefs. He completed nine of 14 for a total of 176 yards. He threw for one touchdown and earned another score on the ground.
Leading receivers were Jonathan Andrews (three catches for 88 yards), Nick Gradia (four for 81 yards) and Mandell Smith (two for 20 yards).
Leading the ground attack was Wright, who took 13 handoffs for 84 yards.
The season gets underway for the Chiefs Friday night at 7:30 when they host Jay High School.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox