Arson suspected in fire

Published 12:38 am Friday, April 14, 2006

By By Janet Little Cooper
A young mother and her three children were left homeless after a suspected arson claimed their mobile home last weekend.
Poarch Volunteer Fire Department received a call at approximately 5:47 a.m. Saturday to the home of Corrie Vickery at 7736 Jack Springs Road.
Vickery and her two youngest children, ages one and two, were asleep inside the home at the time of the fire.
"My son and daughter were asleep on a pallet in the living room," Vickery said. "My oldest son was spending the night with his grandparents and I was asleep in my bedroom in the back. I heard noises coming from my neighbor's house and woke up to see what was going on. I went to the door to look out and heard a loud noise and saw the trailer on fire."
Vickery was able to get her children out of the burning home and move her car away before it was lost in the flames.
According to Vickery, she and her children were all administered oxygen and transported by ambulance to Atmore Community Hospital.
"They treated us all and the kids have gone back for another check-up and return next week once more," Vickery said.
The families' home was a total loss and according to fire reports from Poarch Volunteer Fire Department, arson is suspected.
According to Vickery, the fire started in her back bedroom. She had concerns that the fire was started by a lantern she keeps in her room, but was assured by inspectors that the lantern was not to blame for the blaze.
The Alabama State Fire Marshall was called in to investigate as well as the Escambia County Sheriff's Department.
"The Fire Marshall will be here today to review the evidence and we will both be interviewing the victim and a person she has identified as a possible suspect," Escambia County Sheriff Grover Smith said. "It is still much too early to say at this point."
Woodlawn Fire
Another house was damaged from fire on Woodlawn Avenue Monday morning. Atmore Fire and Rescue Department responded to the mid-morning fire. Reports from the blaze were not finalized at press time.
Atmore fireman, Captain Mike Staples was injured on the scene according to Chief Gerry McGhee.
"He went to step off the truck and his boot was wet causing him to slip," McGhee said. "He fell hurting his leg."
Staples was taken to Atmore Community Hospital where he was treated for his injuries.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox