Lightning sparks fire

Published 10:19 pm Wednesday, April 4, 2007

By By Adrienne McKenzie
The horrendous weather Atmore residents experienced Sunday was the cause of Deborah Thomas' mobile home catching ablaze.
Atmore Fire and Rescue Department were called out Sunday at 4:35 p.m. to 216 Mobile St. in Atmore.
According to Atmore Fire and Rescue Department Chief Gerry McGhee, the fire consumed the entire house.
"It was a total loss," McGhee said.
McGhee suspects lighting as being the cause of the fire that took Thomas' home.
"It was possibly started by lightning," McGhee said. "People around the house said they heard a big bolt."
Thomas had just left her house so nobody was there when the flames took over.
"The people who lived there had not long left to go to church so we figure there was no foul play involved," McGhee said.
McGhee had several of his firemen fighting the mobile home's blazes.
"I had 13 firemen show up," McGhee said. "We had a good response."
In other news, the ban burn that Mayor Howard Shell issued nearly two weeks ago has been lifted, according to McGhee.
"The ban burn has been lifted but we are still advising people to be cautious," he said.
McGhee said officials are asking individuals to use extreme caution when burning rubbish and to inform the Atmore Fire and Rescue Department before burning.
"We ask that people call the fire department if burning anything," McGhee said.
There are still rules residents must follow when burning rubbish and chances of the ban coming back into effect is dependent on the amounts of rain Atmore receives within the next couple of weeks.
"They still have to have the fire 100 feet from any dwelling," McGhee said. "If we don't get anymore rain, we may have to issue the ban burn again for a while."

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox