Family escapes fire

Published 12:20 pm Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Becky Sorrells’ mobile home located at 7736 Lot 7A in Quarry Village off Jack Springs Road in Poarch burned to the ground Sunday night.|Photo by Allison Knowles

A local family is thankful to be alive after flames ripped through their mobile home Sunday evening in Poarch.

The fire occurred at 7736 Lot 7A in Quarry Village off Jack Springs Road. Becky Sorrells, her 26-year-old daughter, Auburn Meadows, and her two children, Leslie Ball, 7, and Cameron Dortch, 5, were inside the home when it caught fire, but were able to escape without injuries. Now the family faces the reality of trying to find another home and put clothes on their backs.

The American Red Cross paid for the family to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Atmore through Thursday, but after that, Sorrells said her family has no place to go. She is asking for help from the community in hopes of picking up the pieces.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“Anything anybody can do will be appreciated,” she said. “We need all the help we can get. If anybody can help keep us in the hotel until we can afford to get another place, that would be great. After tomorrow night, we have nowhere to go. Food would also be a big help, all our food burned up.”

In addition, Sorrells’ other daughter, who is six-months pregnant, was in the process of moving out and she lost all of her maternity clothes and baby items. She is expecting a baby girl.

Sorrells said that it is unclear where the fire originated, but believes it was in her bedroom or the hallway. The Poarch Band of Creek Indians Fire Department responded to the fire and was assisted by the Atmore Fire and McCullough Volunteer Fire departments.

If you would like to help the family with donations of clothes, food or money, you can call Sorrells at 253-9094.

Clothing sizes for the family are as follows:

Becky, size 3 pants and small shirts; Auburn, size 7-9 pants and medium shirts; Cameron, size 5T clothing; Leslie, size 6 and any maternity or baby clothing. In addition, the family also has to replace home, kitchen and other household items lost in the fire, so any other donation would be appreciated.

Leslie is also a student at Huxford Elementary and is in need of some additional school uniforms.