Fire ‘suspicious’

Published 9:47 am Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Atmore Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Mike Staples and fellow firefighters search the perimeter around the Clark Street mobile home that caught fire Dec. 31. The fire is believed to have been intentionally set.|Photo by Adam Prestridge

Investigators from the Alabama Fire Marshal’s Office are investigating a “suspicious” fire that damaged a Clark Street house early last Friday morning.

According to Atmore Fire Chief Gerry McGhee, the fire began just before 1:30 a.m. on Dec. 31 on the front porch of the house located at 212 Clark St. At the scene, it was suspected that a flammable material had been tossed onto the front porch igniting the fire, but no official cause has been determined.

“The home received a small amount of damage,” McGhee said Tuesday afternoon. “It was definitely set on the front porch, but the fire marshal is still investigating it.”

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The Fire Marshal’s Office has not completed its investigation simply stating, “This matter is still under investigation.”

Four Atmore Fire Department units responded to the scene along with 11 firefighters.

McGhee said the house was not occupied and no one was hurt.

Later that morning, at 5:57 a.m., 18 Atmore and six Poarch firefighters responded to a mobile home fire at 109 Union St. The home was a total loss, according to McGhee.

“The guys did a good job,” McGhee said. “I appreciate Poarch showing up to help us, especially on a holiday.”

Police and fire personnel did not slow up with the New Year as they both responded to a vehicle accident at the intersection of Main Street and Lindberg Avenue in front of Walgreens Saturday. During the crash, a telephone pole was knocked down leaving many residents and businesses in the dark. After several hours on the scene, Alabama Power installed a new pole and power was restored.

The fire department also responded to a natural gas leak at 402 E. Craig St. on Sunday and put out a pile of burning tires at 253 E. Sunset Dr. on Monday.