Suspect in armed robbery behind bars

Published 10:25 am Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Wednesday afternoon manhunt ended in the late night arrest of an Atmore man for the armed robbery of a local business yesterday afternoon.


Darrell Marshall (a.k.a. D-Money), 24, was taken into custody around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday at a local gas station, and charged with the robbery of Southern Gold Buyers on North Main Street.

According to APD, Marshall is believed to have entered the business around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday afternoon claiming he wanted to sell a piece of jewelry. As owner Terry Raburn inspected the jewelry, Marshall is reported to have pulled a machete from his pants and demanded money. After leaving the business, Raburn gave chase and Marshall dropped the machete and a shirt as he fled on foot according to an APD report.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Raburn was not injured during the incident and said Marshall was someone who had been to his store in the past.

“It was a guy¬† I had done business with before,” Raburn said. “I didn’t remember his name, but I recognized his face.”

Raburn said Marshall’s actions were sudden and he quickly made off with the money.

“He pulled a machete out of his britches and demanded money,” Raburn said. “I gave it to him and he took off. I took a shot at him but he ran away.”

Raburn said in total, Marshall made off with $1300.

Marshall disappeared into a wooded area near Ashley Street and K-9 units with the Alabama Department of Corrections were called in to assist in the manhunt.

Although Marshall was able to initially elude officials, he was picked up by officers Wednesday night and transported to the Escambia County Detention Center in Brewton. He has been charged with robbery in the first degree.

Raburn said Wednesday’s incident was the first time he has ever experienced such an encounter as a business owner. Despite the trauma of the circumstance, Raburn was back at work Thursday.