Cougars finish 2nd at Jay, Fla. track meet
Escambia Academy’s boys’ track team knows it has a target on its back this season when it comes to competing at every meet this year, Cougars coach Hugh Fountain said Wednesday.
The Cougars won the AISA Class 3A state championship last year.
Fountain said the team wanted to compete against good teams this year.
“We’re glad to be able to run against them,” Fountain said.
The Cougars are set to run in a meet at Selma on Monday, and then at Northview on Thursday of next week. EA was originally scheduled to compete in a meet at NHS tomorrow, but due to inclement weather, the meet was postponed.
EA is fielding most of its team from last year’s championship squad. There aren’t any seniors on the team.
Earlier this week, the Cougars finished in second place at a meet at Jay, Fla., on Tuesday afternoon.
The Cougars racked up 109 points in the second meet of the season. EA competed in Selma on Monday.
Full results are below:
• Louie Turner, 4×800-meter dash, 20.02 seconds, third place;
• Kris Brown, 100-meter dash, first place, 10.85 seconds;
• Jackson Bonner, 1,600-meter run, fifth place, 5 minutes, 29 seconds;
• Patrick McGee, Turner, Bonner and Brown, 4×100-meter relay, fifth place, 46.19 seconds;
• Jabe Dawe, 400-meter dash, third place, 58.64 seconds;
• McGee, 300-meter individual hurdles, second place, 42.68 seconds;
• Gary Campbell, 800-meter run, first place, 2:18;
• Jace Daniels, 800-meter run, third place, 2:25;
• Brown, 200-meter dash, first place, 22.62 seconds;
• Bonner, 3,200-meter run, second place, 12:12;
• In the 4×400-meter relay, EA finished in 3:49;
• Brown, triple jump, 36-feet;
• Campbell, high jump, 5-feet;
• McGee, long jump, first place, 19.10 feet;
• Brown, long jump, 19.4 feet; and,
• Jamontrea Lee, shot put, first place, 36.7 feet.
• March 30 at home
• April 2 at Lee-Scott
• April 4 at Selma
• April 9 JV state meet at home
• April 13-14 state varsity meet at Selma