Jumping to state
County track, field team to send 11 to Gulf Shores
Before Anthony Fountain goes into his wind up in the long jump event, the Escambia County High School senior blanks everything out in his mind.
“It helps me focus better before I make a good jump,” Fountain said.
Fountain is one of 11 Blue Devils that will be making an appearance at the Class 4A-6A State Track and Field Meet this week in Gulf Shores. The meet runs from May 5-7.
The Blue Devils qualified for state at the sectional meet last week at the University of South Alabama.
Fountain qualified again in the long jump and triple jump this year.
He said his goal is simple this year.
“My goal is to finish first this year,” Fountain said.
Fountain began competing on the track team last year. He’s competed in the triple and long jumps, along with the 4×400-meter relay.
In the long jump event, his target length is 23 feet, a goal he knows he can accomplish.
“I just want to finish on top for my last year,” Fountain said.
Here is the list of the state qualifiers from ECHS:
• Girls 4×100 relay —Victoria Tucker, Jacayla Nixon, Tydasia Campbell and Euique Rudolph.
• Girls 100-meter hurdles — Rudolph
• Boys 4×400-meter team — Ladanian Dailey, Bryce Montgomery, Fountain and Willie Pittman.
• Boys long jump and triple jump — Fountain.
• Boys long jump —Pittman.
• Boys 110-meter hurdles — Sean Marshal.
• Boys 300-meter hurdles — Anthony Holt.
• Boys discus — Daniel Curry.