Showers, thunderstorms in area
Published 9:35 am Friday, July 22, 2016
Throughout the day, scattered showers and thunderstorms will make their presence known in Atmore, according to the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
The rain will continue until tonight with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.
With the presence of rain, flooding could become an issue in the area.
Here are some tips from the Department of Homeland Security’s website in regard to flooding:
• Turn Around, Don’t Drown!
• Avoid walking or driving through flood waters.
• Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away.
• If there is a chance of flash flooding, move immediately to higher ground. Flash floods are the No. 1 cause of weather-related deaths in the US.
• If floodwaters rise around your car but the water is not moving, abandon the car and move to higher ground. Do not leave the car and enter moving water.
• Avoid camping or parking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
The chance rain for the remainder of the weekend will fall to around 30 percent tomorrow and Sunday.