John Milton Webb

Published 2:17 pm Friday, July 28, 2017

John Milton Webb passed away at his home in Daphne on July 24, 2017.


He was born in Atmore on Oct. 21, 1919 to Dr. Alfred Pellar Webb and Ida Stewart Webb. He was a graduate ofEscambia County High School Class of 1938 and Louisiana State University College of Agriculture Class of 1943 and a member of Kappa Alpha Fraternity. He was a U.S. Merchant Marine Cadet, Pass Christian, Mississippi, 1944 and was on ships during World War II in the Atlantic War Zone and the Mediterranean-Middle East War Zone. Following the war, he was employed by International Paper Company (Woodlands Dept.) for 38 years living in Louisiana, Texas and Arkansas. He was Secretary-Treasurer of the Gulf States Section of the Society of American Foresters and also of the Texas Chapter. While living in Nacogdoches, Texas he was chairman of The Texas Tree Farm Committee and  in 1964 received  an  award  for  personally  enrolling  over 100  timberland  owners in that program  to promote good  timberland practices.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox


In his retirement years, he moved back home to Alabama where he lived in Daphne. His life was spent walking in the pine forests of the south and as he grew older he walked the hills of Lake Forest and could climb the bleachers at Daphne High School way into his 90’s.


He was a lifelong member of the Baptist Church and taught adult Sunday School Classes in several churches during his life.


He was preceded in death by his wife of 56 years, Mary Evelyn Atwood; brothers, Alfred Pellar Webb, Jr. (Atmore), Jack Stewart Webb (Birmingham), Marvin E. Webb (Tampa, Fla.), James H. Webb (Jacksonville, Fla.), William T. Webb (Bay Minette) and Judge Douglas S. Webb (Wetumpka, AL) and sisters, Lizzie LeeFridge (Atmore) and Dorothy Roden (Orange Beach).


He is survived by many nieces and nephews from Alaska to Florida.


The family is grateful for his caregivers, Albert and Debra Roberts, and, with their help, he was able to live at home until his death.