Five Escambia Academy football players were selected to play in the 2017 Alabama Independent School Association’s All-Star game this Fri., Dec. 1, in Montgomery.
Louie Turner, Fred Flavors, Jo Nance, JoJo Carpenter and Jamie Welker were selected to play on the West All-Star ateam during the game at the Cramton Bowl.
The Cougars wrapped up their 2017 campaign by defeating Autauga Academy 30-20 to win the AISA Class 2A state championship in Troy.
The following is each All-Star’s season stats:
• Turner — 999 rushing yards on 119 carries and 20 touchdowns with one fumble. On defense, he amassed the second-highest number of tackles at 63 (38 solo, 25 assists)
• Flavors — 514 receiving yards on 18 receptions and five touchdowns. As a rusher, Flavors rushed for 376 yards on 37 carries and scored six touchdowns. Defensively, Flavors had 48 tackles — 43 solo — and four interceptions. He has also gained 102 interception return yards.
• Nance — 44 tackles (31 solo, 13 assists) and nine tackles for a loss with three sacks.
• Carpenter — 50 tackles (40 solo, 10 assists) with four sacks and six tackles for a loss.
• Welker — Leads the team in tackles with 67 (50 solo, 17 assists), two sacks, six tackles for a loss and one interception.
Kick off on Friday is at 7 p.m.
Escambia County’s Lue Williams blocked a last-second shot and drained 26 points to help lead the Blue Devils to a... read more