• 86°

Fire claims home

Working smoke detectors saved the life of an Atmore homeowner after an electrical fire at a residence on 12th Avenue Tuesday morning, according to fire officials.

Capt. Daniel Love said the AFD responded to a fire at 213 12th Ave. at around 7:15 a.m., and they believe the start of the fire was electrical. The house was deemed a total loss.

“The homeowner got out of the house due to working smoke detectors,” Love said. “The smoke detectors were still going off when we were fighting the fire.”

Love said the AFD used an offensive attack on the fire. An offensive attack is one where firefighters attack a fire on the inside.

Around 9:25 a.m., the AFD cleared the scene, and ASAP Ambulance was on stand by for medical assistance.