ECMS holds drive thru open house
Escambia County Middle School teachers and administrators were having a good time this afternoon during the school’s open house.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, students checked in with their teachers and received school supplies via their parents’ or guardian’s vehicle.
According to Advance archives, the reopening plans include:
Instruction delivery methods
• Traditional – Teaching and learning will take place utilizing traditional methods. Supplemental curriculum resources and online learning methods will be practiced.
• Temporary remote learning – In case of a more restricted health order, temporary school closure, or student contagion, students will complete classwork from a remote location, participate in virtual class meetings and submit work digitally, according to the ECSS.
• Virtual learning – and supplemental curriculum resources. Teachers will regularly check on with students using a variety of technology tools. ECS teachers and technology department will assist you with technology needs.
Reopening plan staggered
At present, ECSS officials said they plan to open schools in a staggered manner to help students and staff have time to review new procedures and learning requirements. The first day of school is slated for Aug. 7, 2020. The staggered dates are the following:
• Aug. 7, 2020, for students with last names beginning with A-G will report to school
• Aug. 10 all students with last names beginning with H-M
• Aug. 11 all students with last names beginning with N-Z.
• Aug. 12 all students will return to school for regularly scheduled classes.
Knott said for example if a student attends school on Aug. 7, their next date for return is Aug. 10.
Students who live in the Atmore area will participate in a virtual school orientation and final registration on Aug. 7, according to officials.
Virtual students who live in the Flomaton/McCall areas will participate in the orientation and final registration on Aug. 10.
Virtual students who live in the East Brewton area will participate in the orientation and final registration on Aug. 11.
All virtual students will begin classes on Aug. 17, 2020.
Health and safety procedures
According to a release, ECSS officials said a daily cleaning and disinfecting of classrooms, restrooms and common areas will be conducted.
Students will be encouraged to wash their hands, and implement hygiene routines.
Face masks/face shields and following ADPH guidelines are encouraged.
Social distancing protocols will be enacted, according to officials.
To read the full plan, click here.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) released its August update on the Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook today and conditions... read more