Cougars shutout Autauga Academy 33-0
Escambia Academy’s defense put together a consistent performance tonight as the No. 4 Cougars shutout Autauga Academy 33-0 in region action on Bachelor Field in Canoe.
With the victory, the Cougars improve to 6-1 overall, and 3-0 in AISA Class 2A, Region 2.
In tonight’s victory, EA’s offense started off a bit slow, but the defense made up for it with a fast attack.
“They did play consistent, but we had one guy – everybody was playing about 80 percent, but there was one guy playing 120 percent – that was Randall Bonds,” Defensive coordinator Mike Sims said.
Sims added that Bonds accounted for four sacks in the win tonight.
“He played his butt off,” he added. “And so did Daughtry McGhee.”
McGhee had two interceptions, which the Cougars turned into scores, and added a touchdown rush offensively.
Complete stats from tonight’s game will be posted later.
The following is the scoring by quarter:
• Bubba Nettles rushed 1 yard for a touchdown on a fourth-down play with 10:44 left on the clock. With the PAT, EA led 7-0.
• McGhee rushed 30 yards for a touchdown with 6:13 left, and with a PAT, the Cougars led 14-0.
• Christian Crook scored on a 8-yard rush with 2:12 left in the first half. EA led 20-0 going into halftime.
• Quarterback Landon Sims scored on an 8-yard rush with 8:50 left in the third. PAT was no good, and EA led 26-0.
• Crook dashed the ball in from 5 yards out with 9:52 left to play. With the PAT, EA led 33-0.