State could lose COVID-19 vaccines to others

Published 12:11 pm Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

President Joe Biden announced Tuesday that COVID-19 vaccine that is going unused by some states will begin being reallocated to states and rural communities where there is greater demand. Until now, the supply of vaccine has been divided evenly based on adult population in each state. Under the newly announced plan, unclaimed doses will be sent to other states that have a need.

In response to the announcement, Alabama Governor Kay Ivey urged residents of the state to get the vaccine before the doses are sent to other states.

“Today, the federal government announced on the Governors’ Only call with the White House that states with a diminishing demand for vaccines may have their doses shifted to states with a higher demand,” Ivey said.  “Y’all, we want shots in the arms and off the shelf. If you have not made it a priority to schedule a vaccine, I encourage you to go get the shot as soon as you are able. If you are hesitant to get the COVID-19 vaccine, please speak to a physician you trust and ask if he or she would recommend it for you. If we don’t use it, we could lose it. This is our ticket back to normal. The vaccine is free and could possibly save your life.”

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

State Health Officer Dr. Scott Harris also encourages every eligible person age 16 and older to get the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as possible. At this time, vaccines are protective against variants, but any time a person is infected with SARS-CoV-2 there is an opportunity for the virus to mutate.

“Get vaccinated at your earliest opportunity,” Dr. Harris said. “COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective in preventing severe illness and death from COVID-19, and there is no charge for anyone, regardless of insurance status. Make vaccination a priority for your family, your community and yourself.If you have questions about whether you should be vaccinated, please ask your own doctor or personal healthcare provider.”