Kangaroo robbery suspect in custody

Published 10:46 am Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Atmore Police have one suspect behind bars following an investigation into the Monday morning robbery of a local convenience store.

Tracy Devon Owens, 40, of Atmore, was arrested Tuesday on unrelated charges. As police investigated the case evidence linking Owens to the robbery incident was uncovered. After further investigation, Owens was then charged with first-degree robbery and a felon in possession of a firearm.

The incident began when Atmore Police responded to a panic alarm at the Kangaroo Express location at North Main and Howard Streets.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

According to information released by Atmore Police Department officials, officers arrived just after 4 a.m. to find the clerk unharmed.

The clerk told officers she was approached by a black man who had entered the store dressed in a light colored hoodie and armed with a handgun. The suspect then demanded money from the clerk.

The suspect took the money from the clerk and fled the scene on foot in the direction of Brooks Lane, officers said.

In addition to Atmore Police officers searching for the suspect, the K9 tracking team from the Alabama Department of Corrections was also called in to assist in the search.

Officers were able to locate evidence in the case, however the suspect could not be found at the time of the initial search.

Owens was transported to the Escambia County Detention Center in Brewton Tuesday. No bond information was available as of press time Tuesday.

In a separate incident, Atmore Police reported the arrest of a man accused of stabbing a male victim multiple times on June 17.

Atmore Police responded to a 9:40 p.m. call Friday night at an Ann Street address and began an investigation that has put one Atmore man behind bars.

Maurice White, 39, of Atmore, was arrested Sunday afternoon by Atmore Police and was charged with a first-degree assault that left his victim in serious condition in a Mobile medical facility.

Bruno Marshall, 41, was found lying on the ground suffering from multiple stab wounds to the chest when officers arrived on the scene Friday night.

According to a report released by Atmore Police Department officials, the investigation uncovered witness statements that White was seen running to a vehicle in which Marshall was an occupant. The two began to fight and Marshall exited the vehicle. White then pulled a knife and stabbed Marshall several times before fleeing on foot. A search did not turn up the suspect until Sunday, police said.

Marshall was transported to Atmore Community Hospital following the incident. He was later transferred by Lifeflight to USA Medical Center in Mobile. His condition was not known at press time.

No bond information on White was made available Tuesday.

Both suspects are expected to appear before an Escambia County Judge later this week for bond setting. Each suspect will also face arraingnment on the charges filed against them.

Atmore Police will continue to investigate the incident to gather any additional evidence to support the charges in the cases.