Two parents charged with shooting, stabbing at teen party

Published 4:11 pm Friday, November 11, 2011

Brewton police have arrested two suspects in a shooting and stabbing incident during a teen party last Sunday at the Masonic Lodge on Brennan Avenue — and both are parents, including the mother of the 15-year-old party honoree, police said.

Michael Johnson, 36, and Twolla Drakeford were arrested in the incident that left five people — three from Atmore — injured from stab and gunshot wounds. Police believe Johnson fired the shots, while Drakeford is the suspect in the stabbings. One teenager — identified as an Escambia County High School student but not named — was airlifted to a Mobile hospital after being shot in the back, but his condition was upgraded to fair earlier this week. The other victims were treated and released. Three of the victims were teenagers.

Brewton Police Sgt. Steven Ferguson said Johnson’s arrest came after a lead pointed to him as the shooting suspect.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“We put him in a line up in Atmore and asked witnesses to pick who they believed the shooter was out of that line up,” Ferguson said. “Our witnesses picked Johnson out of the lineup and named him as the person responsible for the shooting.”

Johnson was arrested without incident Wednesday by Brewton police and was charged with three counts of first-degree assault.

“A search warrant of Johnson’s home resulted in uncovering evidence we believe will be helpful in the prosecution of this case,” Ferguson said.

A second person was arrested in connection with the stabbing incident at the same gathering on Brennan Avenue, Ferguson said.

Drakeford was charged with one count of first-degree assault in connection with the case.

Ferguson said the investigation remains open and other charges are possible in the case.

The incident took place at a party hosted by Drakeford for her daughter, Ferguson said.

“There had been an altercation in the building and it spilled out into the parking lot where the stabbing occurred,” Ferguson said. “At some point after the stabbing took place, shots were fired, leaving three people wounded.”

All of those injured were treated for their wounds, with one Atmore resident taken by Life Flight to a Mobile hospital. Other injuries were not life threatening, Ferguson said.

No information on bond for Johnson or Drakeford was immediately available.