Minor killed, two injured in wreck

Published 1:53 pm Thursday, April 12, 2012

Two people, a man and a young child, were transported to the hospital via LifeFlight after a Thursday afternoon accident that left a second child dead.

Failing to use proper child restraints contributed to the death of a three-month-old girl in a single car accident Thursday afternoon according to reports from Alabama State Troopers.

Alexis McGee was pronounced dead on the scene after being ejected from a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass after the vehicle crashed alongside Alabama 21, just south of Wind Creek Casino and Hotel.

The driver, Emmett Clyde Gross Jr., 24, of Atmore was not wearing a seatbelt and was also ejected from the vehicle. A third passenger, one-year-old Kelyn McGee, was pulled from the burning car by local first responders.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Residents living along the highway reported hearing a “loud noise” and seeing a “fireball” just after 1 p.m.

Officials said, while the cause of the accident has yet to be determined, the vehicle is believed to have been traveling northbound at a high rate of speed when the driver lost control. The vehicle left the roadway, flipped, landed on its roof and caught fire.

Alabama State Trooper Wes Davis said he could not confirm details of the accident until an official investigation is conducted but was able to confirm the death of the minor as a result of the wreck.

Two LifeFlight units were called to the scene of Thursday’s accident. Gross and Kelyn McGee were transported to USA Medical Center in Mobile. Gross’ condition is currently unknown, but emergency workers said McGee is believed to have sustained only minor injuries. The child was conscious and moving at the time of transfer from Atmore Ambulance to LifeFlight.

Atmore and Poarch police departments, The Escambia County Sheriff’s Department, the Alabama State Troopers office, Atmore and Poarch fire departments and Atmore Ambulance responded to the scene.

The wreck is currently under investigation by the Alabama State Troopers office.

The vehicle, a two-door car, flipped, landed on its top and burst into flames alongside AL 21 Thursday afternoon.