Home fire quickly contained

Published 2:48 pm Monday, December 10, 2012

As neighbors look on, firefighters with Atmore and Poarch suppress a home fire on Peachtree Street Monday afternoon.

Firefighters with the Atmore Fire Department and the Poarch Fire Department quickly contained a fire inside a home that could have been much worse had it been allowed to burn any longer on Monday afternoon.

The units responded to a home located at 410 Peachtree Street at approximately 2 p.m. Monday and found smoke billowing from inside the structure. The fire was quickly squelched and Atmore Fire Chief Gerry McGhee said no one was injured during the incident.

“(The woman who lives here) was not home,” McGhee said. “She said she had just left to go to Masland (Carpets) to see her son.”

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Damage to the home was minimal and McGhee said firefighters would continue to investigate in order to determine the fire’s origin.