House fire a total loss

Published 8:56 pm Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A fire that broke out in a mobile home over the weekend resulted in the total loss of the home, according to officials with the Poarch Fire Department and a local family is now working to move on after the disaster.

Atmore and Poarch fire departments responded to the call on Atmosphere Road Sunday afternoon, but were unable to extinguish the blaze before the home was destroyed.

According to Assistant Fire Chief Mike Respress, firefighters were able to squelch the blaze before the entire structure burned, however he said the remains of the trailer sustained smoke and heat damage, rendering it unlivable.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“It was started somewhere around the kitchen we think,” Respress said. “There were no injuries. The people who lived there said they had gone outside to clean up and the woman’s grandson went in and came back out and said the trailer was on fire.”

While the fire resulted in no injuries, Respress said there is still concern over how the family will be taken care of.

“The lady was on oxygen so we called the Red Cross before we ever left the scene to make sure the family had a place to stay and she had oxygen and whatever else she needs,” Respress said.

For information on how to assist the family and other victims of fires and other disasters, contact the Atmore chapter of the American Red Cross at (251) 368-3643.