Man burned at JDCC, airlifted to hospital

Published 3:47 pm Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Emergency officials responded to the Atmore campus of Jefferson Davis Community College on Tuesday afternoon after a male subject’s clothes caught on fire.

“The only thing we know is his clothes caught on fire,” said Poarch Assistant Fire Chief Mike Respress.

Respress said it is unclear at this time what happened beyond that, and if the victim was welding at the time of the incident. He said firefighters were called out to the scene between 1:30 p.m. and 2 p.m.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“When we got there, his shirt was off,” he said.

The victim was transported to Atmore Community Hospital to be airlifted to another hospital, Respress said. Atmore Ambulance and Poarch Police were also called to the scene.

The victim’s name was not immediately released.