Pow wow starts Thursday
A holiday tradition in Escambia County will celebrate its 44th year this week, as the Poarch Band of Creek Indians hosts their Thanksgiving pow wow.
The pow wow will be Thursday and Friday, and include the Princess Contest, the grand entry, dancing contests and much more.
General admission is $5 for adults ages 11 and up. Children 10 and under will be admitted free. The gates open both days at 10 a.m. All activities will be held at the pow wow grounds, located at 5811 Jack Springs Road.
The schedule of planned events includes the following:
• Thursday, 10 a.m. — Oklahoma Creek Stomp Dancers at the mound.
• Thursday, 10:45 a.m. — Poarch Creek Pow Wow Club at the mound.
• Thursday, 11:15 a.m. — Opening ceremonies at the mound (includes national anthem by David Gehman, welcome by Tribal Chair Stephanie A. Bryan, language presentation and the Princess Contest).
• Thursday, 1 p.m. — Grand entry at the arena.
• Thursday, 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. — Intertribal dance competitions at the arena.
• Thursday, 4 p.m. — Tri-Community Dancers at the arena.
• Thursday, 4:30 p.m. — Oklahoma Creek Stomp Dancers at the arena.
• Thursday, 5 p.m. — Intertribal dance competitions continue at the arena.
• Friday, 10 a.m. — Tri-Community Dancers at the arena.
• Friday, 11 a.m. — Grand entry at the arena.
• Friday, 11:30 a.m. — Intertribal dance competitions continue at the arena.
• Friday, 6 p.m. — Announcement of the contest winners at the arena.
For more information on the pow wow, visit online at www.poarchcreekindians-nsn.gov.