Man, 54, dies after fire

Published 8:31 am Wednesday, December 3, 2014

An Atmore man died over the weekend, possibly after inhaling the smoke fumes from a fire.

According to an Atmore Police Department report, David Mitchell, 54, of Atmore, was found lifeless at a residence at 335 Montgomery St., at approximately 7:57 a.m. Sunday morning. Mitchell was pronounced dead at the scene.

Atmore Fire Chief Gerry McGhee said the incident is still under investigation, but it is believed that a fire started sometime during the weekend inside the small home. McGhee said the home was enclosed and small enough that the fire was able to eventually extinguish itself, but Mitchell may have inhaled the deadly fumes.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“We got a call to go over there and help the ambulance with a lift assist,” McGhee said. “We found [Mitchell] lying on the living room floor.

“We believe that the home was shut up so close, that the fire wasn’t able to get any air, and eventually put itself out. We are still investigating, but we don’t suspect foul play.”

As of Tuesday morning, the APD was still waiting for an official autopsy report from the forensic lab in Mobile.

Agencies who responded Sunday included the APD, Atmore Ambulance and the Atmore Fire Department.