Mary Joyce Crabtree Mason

Published 10:43 am Thursday, January 8, 2015

Mary Joyce Crabtree Mason, 75, of Atlanta, Ga., passed away Jan. 4, 2015, in Atlanta, Ga.

She was born on April 26, 1939, in McKinnonville, Fla., where she was raised. At a young age she helped her daddy in his turpentine business. She later met and married Paul Mason.

She was always a mother first and was always involved in her daughter’s activities. She did cheerleader camps to rodeos across the United States. She worked as a church secretary for many years at the First United Methodist Church of Atmore and was a lifetime member.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

She attended another Methodist church in Atlanta after moving to Georgia. She was also an employee for Olan Mills for years before retiring. Joyce was incredibly loving and a very loyal friend. She was always trying to help others and often went out of her way to do something nice for them.

Unfortunately, Joyce had many health issues, which caused her to move to Atlanta for the past 10 years to live with her daughters so they could care for her. She was the best mom and wife anyone could ever have.

She is preceded in death by her parents, Leander and Inez Lewis Crabtree, and her husband, Paul Mason.

She is survived by her daughters Shayne Lee and Missy (Harley) Kindig; two grandsons, Garrett Lee and Colby Kindig, all of Atlanta, Ga.; her sister, Lillian Jackson of Pensacola, Fla.; one nephew, Tommy Jackson of Pensacola, Fla.; and one niece, Jeannie McKenzie of Macon, Ga. She had a lifelong friendship with Doris Van Pelt; they were close as sisters and took many enjoyable trips together with their husbands and families.

Funeral services were held at noon Wednesday, Jan. 7, from the First Methodist Church of Atmore, with the Rev. Leon Stewart officiating. Burial followed in Oak Hill Cemetery.

Visitation was held Wednesday, Jan. 7, from 11 a.m. until the service time at noon from the First United Methodist Church of Atmore.

Johnson-Quimby Funeral Home, Inc., was in charge of arrangements.