Fire damages home

Published 8:18 am Wednesday, March 4, 2015

An Atmore family’s home was badly damaged by an early-morning fire Thursday.

Atmore Fire Chief Gerry McGhee said that firefighters responded to a fire call at 93 Brown St., at 5:45 a.m. Thursday, and left the scene at 8 a.m.

“When we arrived on scene, smoke was coming out of all the windows and the eaves,” McGhee said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

McGhee said the family was able to get out safely. He said that the American Red Cross has been called to help support the family, who lost many possessions in the fire. McGhee said that the building sustained “moderate” damage, but is not considered a total loss.

The Poarch Volunteer Fire Department provided mutual aid. The Atmore Fire Department had seven trucks on the scene, and Poarch had one truck.

McGhee said a resident of the home told firefighters that a heater in the bathroom had gotten plugged up and caught on fire.