• 32°

3 fires reported last Thursday

The Atmore Fire Department responded to three fires last Thursday, no life-threatening injuries were reported, according to fire officials.

The first fire took place at around 12:42 p.m. on Virginia Drive, Chief Ronald Peebles said.

“The mechanic was working on a vehicle, and hooked a battery charger to a battery in the car trunk, and something shorted,” he said.

Peebles said the vehicle, a Saturn, was deemed a total loss.

A fire crew was able to extinguish the flames in short period of time after the call was issued.

Peebles said the second fire took place at 106 6th Ave., at an apartment complex.

Peebles said one of the complex’s owner’s tenants was cooking French fries on the stove and it caught fire.

“He threw a quilt over it, but the quilt caught fire,” he said. “The tenant rushed out the door, and it actually burned him fairly well (on the arm).”

Peebles said he went to the hospital and was treated for non life-threatening injuries.

However, Peebles said he did call the Alabama Fire Marshals in to investigate. He said the investigation is ongoing.

The third fire took place at the Bragg Street Apartments.

Peebles said a call came in detailing that smoke was coming out of the vents.

“Upon our investigation, we found a cigarette butt on a wicker stand in a bathroom,” he said. “The butt caught the stand and toilet paper on fire.”

Later in the week, the AFD also responded to a car that clipped a power poll at the end of Martin Luther King Dr.

Peebles said the AFD stayed on scene until 4 a.m. Saturday.

“Most of Atmore’s electric crew was out in McCullough,” he said. “A crew out of Mobile helped us in Atmore.”

Then on Monday, the AFD responded to a roll over on Highway 21, just passed Martinville Hill.

State troopers worked the scene and the accident is under investigation.