• 64°

Home owner puts out kitchen fire

Atmore Fire Department personnel responded to a kitchen fire on 7th Avenue Tuesday morning, but their services weren’t needed, Chief Ronald Peebles said.

“The homeowner put the fire out with a fire extinguisher,” Peebles said. “The fire had got into the cabinets and the wall.

“That’s the most important thing to have is a fire extinguisher,” he said.

Peebles said if the owner didn’t have the extinguisher, the fire would’ve been a whole lot worse.

“It melted the stove, and vent, and the wall beside it,” he said.

Peebles said no one was injured and the Red Cross was called for assistance.