City council approves budget
The Atmore city council approved a $10.7 million operating budget for fiscal year 2016-2017 at its meeting Monday night.
The most money budgeted was for subsidies and appraisals for $2,815,000. Atmore’s police department has an overall budget of $2,288,000.
In other business, the council:
• adopted a resolution to declare 49 properties as grass and weed nuisances. This is down from the 206 properties that were reported in violation in June;
• appointed Robert A. Johnson Jr. to the housing board and made Cereal Daniel an alternate member;
• reappointed Cynthia Rodgers to the Atmore Public Library board;
• approved an ABC License application for wine only at Coffee House LLC; and,
• approved the observance of Halloween for Mon., Oct. 31, from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m.