Firefighters battle sulfur blaze

Published 1:19 pm Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Firefighters battled a sulfur fire at Tiger Sul for some five hours this morning, according to officials.

Atmore Fire Chief Ronald Peebles said the fire possibly started in the conveyor belt, and didn’t spread into the hoppers.

“The fire burned the ceiling,” he said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Peebles said Poarch, Nokomis and Walnut Hill fire departments were also called for manpower.

“We got the call around 4:30 a.m. and finished around 10 a.m.,” he said. “It was contained in one part of the building, and it burned the insulation off the building.”

Peebles said what makes sulfur fires unique is its physical state — a fine dust.

“It’s kind of like putting water on grease,” he said. “You hit it with water and the dust is so fine, it ignites like gasoline.”
Peebles said firefighters used a fog stream, or mist, to quell the flames.

“We put a lot of water on it,” Peebles said.

Additionally, Atmore Ambulance was present and provided a rehab center for firefighters going in and out of the fire.