Firefighters douse spark fire at Swift

Published 3:48 pm Friday, August 11, 2017

Atmore firefighters doused a small spark fire at Swift Lumber on Thursday night.

Chief Ronald Peebles said the time of call was 9:22 p.m. and by the time they had arrived on scene, the fire was already out.

Peebles said a spark came through one of the blower tubes and blew into the chip bins on the south side of the road.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“The fire was in the planning mill,” he said. “They put the fire out before we got there.”

Peebles said luckily there wasn’t a fire in the chip bin. Smoke could be seen rising from the bins.

Firefighters soaked the bin really well to make sure there wasn’t a fire, Peebles said.

Peebles said he believes that the spark was caused from a piece of wood at the chipper.

Firefighters cleared the scene at 11 p.m., and there was little to no damage reported.