Fire alarm saves woman

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Working smoke alarms saved a woman from injury during an early morning fire on Dec. 29 at a residence on Union Street, according to Atmore fire officials.

Chief Ronald Peebles said the fire was contained to one room, and it caused heavy smoke damage throughout the house.

Peebles said the cause of the fire was an electrical shortage in a plug in, not from a space heater.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“She did have working smoke alarms, and was able to wake up and get out of the house safely,” Peebles said. “That’s what woke her up. If she hadn’t had a smoke alarm, it would’ve been a different story.”

The Atmore Fire Department responded to the scene at 2:47 a.m. and it was cleared at 4:11 a.m.