• 91°

Fire claims McRae Street residence

A fire claimed a McRae Street residence Monday night, according to Atmore fire officials.

Chief Ronald Peebles said firefighters were called to the scene at 5:59 p.m.

Peebles said the house was declared a total loss, and several animals were lost as a result. He said the homeowners, who weren’t at home at the time of the fire, were not injured.

Peebles said the cause of the fire was due to an electrical short above the stove, and firefighters went back into service at 8:10 p.m.

The fire remains under investigation.