• 72°

Electrical short fills apartment with smoke

The Atmore Fire Department responded to a smoke-filled apartment at Pines Apartments on Nov. 21, according to officials.

Chief Ronald Peebles said firefighters responded to the apartment complex at 11:40 a.m. after a neighbor called because the smoke detector was going off in the apartment below. He said the neighbors weren’t at home at the time.

Peebles said the cause of the smoke was due to an electrical short in the heating system.

The AFD went back into service at 12:30 p.m.