Looking Back: 30 years ago, Amtrak released fares

Published 9:41 am Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Thirty years ago, in 1989, delays on street repairs in Atmore had actually helped the city’s revitalization project. Some of the work was takng more time than had been planned.

Amtrak released the schedules and fares. A round trip between Atmore and Birmingham had a price of $44. The Gulf Breeze would run twice a day and the fare between Atmore and Montgomery was $34 and Atmore to Mobile was $24.

A 77-year-old man was struck and killed while he tried to cross Main Street at 11:21 a.m. The driver of the vehicle was not charged with with anything. Atmore Police Chief Glen Carlee said the driver was not speeding at the time and there was no reason to charge him with anything.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Lake Stone, near Century, Fla. was almost completely dry after having been drained to repair a dam.

Escambia Academy was holding its homecoming. They were to play Greenville Academy.

T.J.’s Hair Repair was having a perm sale. All perms were only $20.

Workers were busy building a train station in downtown Atmore and more details were available about the schedules and fares.

Some more prices for food items were availale from Winn-Dixie. Fresh fryers were 49 cents a pound and pork roast was $1.19 a pound.

There was big news out of a huge earthquake in San Francisco. Several familes from Atmore were in the California city and were caught up in the chaos. The earthquake killed some 250 people, many of them on I-880 which collapsed. More than 1,400 people were injured.

I may be mistaken, but I think this was the one that happened while the baseball World Series was just started. I was watching and could tell something was really wrong.

Two adults and one juvenile were charged with burglary after a manhunt. They were seen leaving the home where they commited a crime.

A man was arrested and charged with rape and sodomy. He held the woman and a friend for several hours.