Looking Back: EA chose homecoming court, queen

Published 9:46 am Thursday, October 31, 2019

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Thirty years ago, in 1989, Archie Trawick, superintentent of education, said it was okay for teachers to use corporal discipline when neccessary in schools. This came about when a teacher was suspended after punishing a student.

Charles Houston of Century, Fla., was stuck in the mud in Lake Stone for more than three hours. He was finally rescued by Century firefighters when they pulled him to safety. The incident caused the lake to be roped off. You may remember that officials had drained the lake to do some repair work on the dam.

In addition to employees of the Alabama Power Co., some telephone workers also made the trip to aide victims of Hurricane Hugo in the Charleston, S.C. area.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Escambia Academy chose the homecoming court and named a queen, Suzanne Akins.

Monroe County beat the Atmore Blue Devils 14-0 to advance into the area playoff.

The old high school located on Pensacola Avenue, which had recently been acquired by the Lion’s Club, had begun a renovation with a new roof being added to the building.

AmTrak officials were surprised and “overwhelmed” by the number of people of Atmore who turned out to greet the passenger train as it made its stop in Atmore. They said that more people turned up in Atmore than those in Birmingham, Montgomery and Mobile combined.

There was a grand opening for the new Escambia Stockyard in Brewton, on U.S. 31 South. Those attending were impressed by the facility that was built at a cost of $400,000.

The community of Huxford worked together to build a new playground. It was said to be like an old-fashioned barn raising.

The Strand Theatre was showing “After Midnight”

Ernest Ward Homecoming queen was Melissa McCall.

The Pilot Club of Atmore was selling peanut brittle and fruitcakes for charity.

Timothy Kirkpatrick’s sentence was postponed. You may remember that he was convicted of murder of a child earlier in the year.

A house in Byrneville was destoyed by fire. The fire was called “suspicious and under investigation.

Hurley Smith was congratulated by Glen Carlee, police chief for his 47 years of service upon his retirement.