• 73°

Fire destroys North Main Street residence

A fire destroyed a house on North Main Street early Monday morning, according to officials.

Atmore Fire Chief Ronald Peebles said the cause of the fire is undetermined and it’s still under investigation.

Peebles said the AFD was called at 1:14 a.m. today and cleared the scene at 3:28 a.m.

Peebles said the house wasn’t occupied and there were no injuries.

Additionally, with the cold weather coming in, the fire chief reminded residents to watch their space heaters. He said to keep a 3-foot clear space around space heaters.

Peebles also recommended making sure Christmas trees have plenty of water so they don’t dry out as they are an easy target for fires.

He said to also make sure fire places are swept and central air units are serviced before turning on the heat.

At present, the Atmore area is under a freeze warning from 10 p.m. today  until 8 a.m. on Dec. 1, 2020, according to the National Weather Service.