EMA officials: Light freezing rain, ice accumulation threat lower
Published 10:58 am Thursday, January 20, 2022
The threat for light freezing rain and ice accumulations is lower than in previous forecasts, according to Escambia County EMA officials.
Director David Adams said in a release that there may be a brief period of light freezing rain or freezing drizzle late tonight into early Friday morning across far southeast Mississippi, far southwest Alabama and portions of south central Alabama.
Adams said confidence in minor ice accumulations remains low at this time.
“More certain is the expected very cold temperatures that will move in behind the departing storm system on Saturday night into early Sunday morning,” he said.
Weather impact potentials are below:
- Impact 1 – Winter Weather Potential
- WHAT: Very light freezing rain or freezing drizzle.
- WHEN: Late tonight into early Friday morning.
- WHERE: Far southeast Mississippi, far southwest Alabama, and portions of south-central Alabama.
- CONFIDENCE: Lower than previous forecasts. The potential for ice accumulations remains very low at this time.
- Impact 2 – Hard Freeze Possible
- WHAT: Very cold temperatures around 20 degrees expected.
- WHEN: Saturday and Sunday mornings.
- WHERE: Interior southeast Mississippi and southwest Alabama.