Fire claims 5th Avenue residence

Published 1:20 pm Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

A fire claimed a 5th Avenue residence Feb. 1, according to Atmore Fire Department officials.

Chief Ronald Peebles said firefighters responded to the working structure fire at 9:50 a.m.

Peebles said the structure was deemed a total loss, and nobody was harmed or hurt.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“Luckily, she had left and went down to the silver sneakers, and was doing her exercising,” Peebles said, adding that it was really good the resident wasn’t home.

Peebles said the cause of the fire appears to be an extension chord that was attached to a space heater. He said the heater wasn’t left on, but they think the chord got pinched and shorted out, adding that the resident remembers turning the heater off before she left her home.

Approximately 10 minutes after responding, AFD firefighters quelled the flames.

“They did a good job,” he said. “It was a quick knock down.”

The Poarch Creek Fire Department responded for mutual aid, and all off duty firefighters were called as well.

Peebles said a couple of rooms were saved, and the American Red Cross was called to aid the homeowner.