Heat to be in triple digits later this week
Published 9:55 am Monday, June 20, 2022
Temperatures are forecasted to go into the triple digits this week in Atmore, according to the National Weather Service.
The near highs for Wednesday through Friday are 101 degrees, 103 degrees and 102 degrees, respectively.
According to the NWS, the nightly lows will range between 76-79 degrees.
This coming weekend, residents can expect a high near 100 degrees on Saturday, and a high of 98 on Sunday.
To stay safe during the high-heat days, follow these safety tips from www.ready.gov:
- Never leave people or pets in a closed car on a warm day.
- If air conditioning is not available in your home go to a cooling center.
- Take cool showers or baths.
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Use your oven less to help reduce the temperature in your home.
- If you’re outside, find shade. Wear a hat wide enough to protect your face.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Avoid high-energy activities or work outdoors, during midday heat, if possible.
- Check on family members, seniors and neighbors.
- Watch for heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- Consider pet safety. If they are outside, make sure they have plenty of cool water and access to comfortable shade. Asphalt and dark pavement can be very hot to your pet’s feet.
- If using a mask, use one that is made of breathable fabric, such as cotton, instead of polyester. Don’t wear a mask if you feel yourself overheating or have trouble breathing.