Blue Devils rout Monroe County 41-6 on homecoming
Published 11:09 pm Friday, September 29, 2023
Escambia County was short handed Friday night, but went out and played as the Blue Devils defeated Monroe County 41-6 on homecoming in Atmore.
The Blue Devils built a 21-0 lead in the first quarter, and led 35-0 at halftime.
ECHS head football coach Vincent Harris gave props to the big man upstairs.
“All honor and glory goes to God,” Harris said. “These are some trying times around here, and God is so good.”
With the victory, the Blue Devils improve to 5-1 overall.
A football history buff, Harris said this season is the first time since Buck Powell’s second year in coaching the Blue Devils have reached the 5-1 mark.
“That’s big to be 5-1,” he said. “I’m just thankful, man.”
Harris said given they were down 15 players tonight, the player played with a whole lot of grit.
“I’m proud of the whole team,” he said “Heck of a job by the coaching staff. Our offensive coordinator Maurice Bradley put together a solid game plan.
Raymond Robinson (defensive coordinator) is gold in this town,” he said. “We’re thankful to have a guy like Raymond Robinson. He doesn’t get enough credit the work he does here for free.”
Next week, the Blue Devils visit No. 4 Jackson in Class 4A, Region 1 play.
Harris said they’ll have 15 players out again for the game, but one thing about this team is “that they’re going to go and play.”
“As long as they go and play, I’ll be happy,” he said. “I always tell them, ‘You don’t win the game on Friday, you win the game Monday through Thursday (at practice).”
Scoring plays by quarter included:
• Jamarion Robinson threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to Tai Henderson with 10:07 left. Robinson hit Markavion Dixon for a 2-point conversion.
• Robinson threw a 18-yard touchdown pass to Lorenzo Arnold with 3:25 left. The 2-point try was no good.
• Robinson thew a 10-yard touchdown pass to Arnold with 41.6 seconds left. The point after try was good by Luis Garcia.
• Henderson rushed 7 yards for a score with 9:08 left in the first half. The PAT try by Garcia was good.
• EJ Thomas returned a pick six 97 yards with 1:57 left in the second quarter. The PAT was good by Garcia, and ECHS led 35-0.
• James Whatley rushed 9 yards with 8:48 left in the game. The PAT was blocked.
• Monroe County’s Byron Hollinger threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to Ashton Kyles with 4:24 left in the game. The 2-point try was no good.