Top 12 stories reached in 2023
Published 9:10 pm Tuesday, December 26, 2023
By Staff Reports
The year 2023 flew by.
We have enjoyed another year of providing coverage of the Atmore community, whether it was through news or sports.
In the past, we typically highlighted the top 10 stories of the year, but this time, we’re highlighting the 12 stories that had the most reach to our audience from January through December. The data was compiled through our Facebook page’s business suite application.
Each month will have a story that our audience interacted with the most.
We hope y’all have a great 2024.
• December – Many turned out for the annual Twilight Christmas Parade tonight. The annual parade was postponed to Sunday night due to the threat of bad weather, but a good crowd braved the cold for the annual festivity. Post reach: 17,932
• November – Poarch Band of Creek Indians’ 51st annual Pow Wow is coming up. The Poarch Band of Creek Indians’ annual Pow Wow was a big hit for the community as the Tribe held the event for the first time under the new pavilion. Post reach: 4,196
• October – Annual Trick-or-Treat on the Street, Witches Ride events held in downtown Atmore. Many turned out for the event, which downtown businesses pass out candy; and Main Street Atmore holds its Witches Ride benefit. Post reach: 32,828
• September – Nichols family provides pre-game meal to ECHS football team today. Randy and Melissa Nichols, and Walton (Nichols) Thompson provided the Escambia County football team its pre-game meal on Sept. 15. The meal served as the official start of Gordon’s Giving, an annual give back effort in honor of the Randy and Melissa’s son, Gordon, who passed away in a car wreck on Thanksgiving in 2019. Post reach: 24,956
• August – The Summit under new ownership, RAG group to perform for residents Saturday. The assisted living facility on McRae Street gained new ownership earlier this year. The Railway Arts Guild performed for residents some selections from their performance during the Strand Theatre and Encore grand opening. Post reach: 11,912
• July – Pride of Atmore officials released the schedule of events for the Strand Theatre and Encore grand opening. The event was held Sat., July 8, and served as the official grand opening event for the newly renovated theatre and entertainment space. Post reach: 21,877
• June – Local growers, producers highlight 2023 Farm to Table event June 3. The Atmore Area Chamber of Commerce held its first ever Farm to Table event at Boxcar Willie on a hot summer’s day. Atmore-area farmers and producers provided the meal for those who attended the event. Post reach: 22,171
• May – Many wanted a taste of the past in early May as David’s Catfish House of Atmore cooked many party burgers for area residents. The party burgers were a staple of the former The Ponderosa restaurant. Post reach: 94,989
• April – Chiefs beat Central, Fla. 14-4 on senior night. Northview scored 11 runs in the first inning en route to the 10-run win. Post reach: 13,622
• March – Atmore youth awarded PCI scholarship. James Morris of Atmore, and Johnny Sexton of Wing, were each awarded a scholarship by the Poarch Creek Indians (PCI) for their participation in Alabama’s livestock industry on Sat., March 18 at a ceremony held in coordination with the Southeastern Livestock Exposition (SLE) Rodeo. Post reach: 33,794
• February – 5 ECHS student athletes sign to play at next level today. James Morris of Atmore, and Johnny Sexton of Wing, were each awarded a scholarship by the Poarch Creek Indians (PCI) for their participation in Alabama’s livestock industry on Sat., March 18 at a ceremony held in coordination with the Southeastern Livestock Exposition (SLE) Rodeo. Post reach: 37,940
• January – Chamber holds 77th annual Gala Jan. 20. Individual and business awards were given at the Atmore Area Chamber of Commerce’s 77th annual Gala on Jan. 20 at Wind Creek Casino and Hotel. The annual event is held to recognize chamber members and trustees, and give awards to citizens and businesses that have impacted the community over the last year. Post reach: 16,919