U.S. Marshals Service takes Atmore man in custody for murder

Published 5:05 pm Thursday, February 15, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Arrest stems from Jan. 13 shooting that occurred in the area of Martin Luther King Jr. and Bragg Streets

The United States Marshall Service took an Atmore man charged with murder into custody today, according to the Atmore Police Department.


Public Information Officer Sgt. Darrell McMann said Cleo Frye III, 30, of Atmore, was taken into custody at approximately 4 p.m. today without incident after he was pulled over on Highway 21 and Woods Road.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

McMann said the arrest of Frye stems after APD officers responded to the area of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue and Bragg Street in reference to a shots fired complaint on Jan. 13.

“When officers arrived, they discovered Okeema McCants, 39, of Atmore, had been struck by gunfire multiple times,” McMann said. “The officers began administering first aid until relieved by MedStar Ambulance paramedics. MedStar transported Mr. McCants to Atmore Community Hospital, where he passed away as a result of his injuries.”

McMann said witnesses said McCants was driving on MLK Avenue when he stopped to try and stop a physical altercation between a group of males in the street.

“Multiple shots were fired shortly after Mr. McCants tried to intervene,” he said. “Witnesses were able to provide a description of the suspect and the vehicle he was driving.”

According to Advance archives, Charles Walker, 25, of Atmore, was taken into custody approximately two hours later, and charged with murder.

McMann said during the initial investigation of the crime scene, investigators recovered spent casings from two different caliber firearms.

“Investigators were able to identify the two male subjects who were involved in the physical altercation, and the two subjects who discharged firearms,” he said, adding that Walker was at the time taken into custody, and Frye was identified as the other subject who allegedly fired multiple rounds. “Investigators learned that Frye may have left the Atmore area and requested the assistance of the United States Marshalls Service.”

McMann said Frye was then transported to the Escambia County Detention Center in Brewton.