White sworn in as new BOE member
Loueek White was sworn in as the newest Escambia County School Systems board member for District 5 at a special-called meeting on Nov. 19.
White was sworn in by Atmore Municipal Judge Kaurean Reynolds.
Also sworn in was Kevin Hoomes of District 1. Hoomes was sworn in by Circuit Judge Jeff White.
In other business, the school board:
• elected a board president and vice president;
• approved the 2020-21 textbook committee. According to Alabama Code 16-36-34, it requires a local textbook committee to be appointed by the board of education. Additionally, code 16-36-5 said that the local committee will meet for the purpose of selecting textbooks from the list of adoptions approved by the state board of education;
• approved for Lathan and Associates Architecture to provide services needed to develop specifications and a bid packet for the completion of roofing repairs at Escambia County Middle School. The repairs needed are as a result of damage caused by Hurricane Sally.
• approved the following personnel recommendations:
• Paula Ferguson, elementary teacher at ECMS, effective Oct. 22, 2020;
• Glenda Miller, math teacher at Escambia County High School, effective Nov. 18;
• Lindsey Morgan, elementary teacher at ECMS, effective Dec. 18;
• Cheri Parker, LPN Aide at W.S. Neal High School, effective Nov. 29;
• Amanda Matta, bus driver at Atmore Bus Shop, effective Nov. 16;
• Odia Berry, custodian at ECHS, effective Nov. 19, 2020;
• Roland Hall, teacher at Title I After School Program at ECHS, effective Nov. 16;
• Barbara Whatley, teacher at Title I After School Program at ECHS, effective Nov. 16; and,
• Dudley Fountain, HVAC/Electrician at Atmore Maintenance department, effective Jan. 2, 2021 (replacing Joshua Lambeth).