EA boys win Last Chance track meet; girls finish 2nd
Published 11:02 am Monday, April 11, 2022
Escambia Academy’s boys track and field team finished first in the Last Chance Meet on Saturday in Canoe.
The Cougars finished with 142 points to top the seven-team field. Tuscaloosa Academy finished second with 42 points, Bessemer Academy finished third with 36 points to round out the top three.
In girls action, the Lady Cougars finished second with 57 points. TA finished first with 70.
This week, the boys will be vying for their seventh-straight championship in Gulf Shores. Qualifying is on Thursday, with finals being held on Friday.
Those EA athletes who finished in the top four of each event included:
- Girls triple jump – KayLeigh Jay, second place, 27.09 meters
- Boys long jump – Landon Sims, first place, 19 meters
- Girls long jump – Tava Johnson, first place, 12.01 meters
- Boys shot put – Chris Long, first place, 40.03 meters; and Hunter Smith, second place, 38.09 meters
- Girls shot put – Jay, second place, 28.10 meters
- Girls discus throw – Jay, first place, 96.02 meters
- Boys discus throw – Smith, first place, 132.03 meters; and Zeke McIlhaney, fourth place, 69.02 meters
- Boys 110-meter hurdles – Sims, first place; and Maliki Haynes, second place
- Boys 100-meter dash – Brian Brown, first place, 13.63 seconds
- Boys 1600-meter run – Eli Covington, first place, 5 minutes, 35.79 seconds; and Timmy Doerr, fourth place, 6:36.99
- Boys 400-meter dash – Shawton Riley, first place, 56.49 seconds; and Brown, second place, 1:00.33
- Girls 300-meter hurdles – Johnson, first place, 1:00.35
- Boys 800-meter run – Tyler Ragan, first place, 2:30.09; Cameron Ball, second place, 2:37.08; and Doerr, third place, 2:46.43
- Girls 200-meter dash – Johnson, third place, 33.09 seconds; and Jay, fourth place, 33.25 seconds
- Boys 200-meter dash – Haynes, first place, 24.85 seconds