Atmore welcomes millennium baby
Published 1:50 am Wednesday, January 5, 2000
By By Sherry Digmon
Calissa Marie Wiggins will always have the distinction of being Atmore's millennium baby.
She was born Jan. 2, 2000, at 10:07 a.m., at Atmore Community Hospital. She weighed 5 pounds, 15 1/2 ounces and was 18 inches long.
Calissa Marie's mother, Ann Marie Hall, said she had not thought about having the first baby of the year, much less the millennium. However, Scotty Dewayne Wiggins, the baby's father, said he had thought about the delivery date and time because the first baby born in the United States in the new millennium received $1 million.
Hall's cousin, Stephanie Bridges, and Wiggins were both in the delivery room. Wiggins said Monday that he was all right up to a point. Then he almost passed out. Fortunately, Bridges was there to support him.
The baby and her parents were showered with gifts from numerous businesses in the area. Hall and Wiggins said they were overwhelmed at the generosity.
Those donating items were:
* Atmore Community Hospital n delivery at no additional cost to the mother, an infant car seat, a case of diapers, a case of formula, a gift pack and a baby monitor;
* Cherished Memories n a basic newborn picture package;
* Atmore Area Chamber of Commerce n a $50 savings bond;
* United Bank n a $50 savings bond;
* Carl's Tot Shop n $25 gift certificate;
* Just 4 Kids n Y2K bib and burp cloth;
* Country Charms n Beannie Baby;
* A Taste of Heaven n Tiny Testament;
* Barnett Florist n cut floral bouquet;
* First National Bank n a silver dollar;
* Greenlawn Pharmacy n night light and snowman;
* Ross n Diaper bag, First Baby magazine;
* Owen Healthcare n Diapers and a picture frame;
* The Atmore Advance n one-year subscription;
* Gerlach's n $25 gift certificate;
* Cha'Naes BBQ n dinner for two
* Food Fair n diapers and diaper wipes
* Atmore Community Hospital Auxiliary n Safety and Medi sets
Calissa Marie's maternal grandparents are Leisa Hall Taylor of Atlanta and the late Frank Allen Hall. Paternal grandparents are Buford and Sharon Wiggins of Century.
Maternal great-grandparents are Ida and Gordon Hall Jr., of Atmore, and Donna and James Burklund of Walnut Hill.
Paternal great-grandparents are Junior and Polly Smith of Monroeville, and the late Gladys Flowers, Iva Wiggins of Century and the late Henry Wiggins.
Mom and baby were both fine Monday and planned to go home Tuesday.
Members of the Atmore Community Hospital OB department said they greatly appreciated the gifts donated to the millennium baby.