Babe Ruth Softball gears up for another successful season
Published 3:13 am Wednesday, March 1, 2000
By By Lori Dann
Advance Managing Editor
The Atmore Babe Ruth Softball League is gearing up for another big season.
But it won't be easy?topping last year's success.
League teams captured three state championships last year, along with other district, regional and national recognition.
This year, the league is opening up to players from throughout the Atmore trade area. Invitations have been issued to a number of players from the outlying communities to join the Atmore league, whether as individuals or as part of a team.
Registration for all players is scheduled for March 11, 18 and 25 from 9 a.m. to noon at Elite Sporting Goods. There will be new uniforms this year, so players can also try on uniforms at that time. Registration fee is $30.
There is a new age determination this year n Jan. 1.
Tryouts, if needed, will be held April 4, 6 and 7, with the draft to follow on April 10.
Opening day for the 2000 season will be Mayfest Saturday, May 6.
In addition to players, umpires and coaches are needed. Umpires will go through Babe Ruth Softball certification and could be the first such umpires in Alabama.
All coaches and managers must register on one of the registration days listed above, even if they coached last year.
League organizers are hoping for another stellar season like last year. Accomplishments in 1999 by league teams included:
* 16-and-under, Babe Ruth Regionals, third place;
* 14-and-under, Babe Ruth Regionals, third place;
* 16-and-under, ASA state champions;
* 14-and-under, ASA third place;
* 12-and-under, Babe Ruth state champions
* 10-and-under, Babe Ruth state champions
* 16-and-under, ASA District 10 Commissioner's Tournament champions;
* 14-and-under, ASA District 10 Commissioner's Tournament champions;
* 12-and-under, ASA District 10 Commissioner's Tournament champions;
* 18-and-under, Alabama Sports Festival, third place;
* 14-and-under, Alabama Sports Festival, third place;
* 12-and-under, Alabama Sports Festival, third place;
* 10-and-under, Alabama Sports Festival second place;
* 16-and-under, Pensacola Firecracker Tournament, third place;
* 18-and-under, National Junior Sports Festival, one place away from a medal.