Three injured in weekend accident

Published 8:12 am Wednesday, August 30, 2000

By Staff
Staff Report
Three people were injured in a two-vehicle accident shortly after noon Sunday on Highway 21.
Zachary Lane of Bay Minette was injured when his 1996 Toyota collided with a 1992 Honda driven by JoEllen Gunn of Century. Denise Rutherford was a passenger in Lane's car.
According to State Trooper Jimmy Dean, Lane was coming out of Poarch Road at the Bingo Palace and turning onto Highway 21. A car was turning onto Poarch Road and he thought the next car, driven by Gunn, was going to turn also. Lane told Dean that Gunn had her turn signal on.
Lane pulled out and the two cars collided in a near front end impact. According to Dean's report, Lane failed to give the right of way.
Rutherford was treated and released at Atmore Community Hospital.
Lane refused treatment at the scene but went to the hospital by private vehicle later.
Gunn had a broken arm, injured leg and possible other injuries. Dean said a family member told him Sunday afternoon that Gunn would be taken to Baptist for surgery on her arm.
The Atmore Fire Department also responded to the call. It was one of 14 calls the AFD responded to in a 14-hour period.
Captain Glenn Faircloth said the calls began on Saturday morning and continued through Sunday night.
The first call came at 10:20 a.m. Saturday which was a vehicle accident on I-65. No one was injured. At 10:58 a.m. they responded to another accident on I-65 where one person suffered minor injuries.
At 11:30 a.m. there was a structure fire on Trammell Street. Damage was minimal and no one was injured. At 1:07 p.m., they responded to a trash fire on Sowell Ave.
At 3:58 a.m. on Sunday, minor damage was sustained to a business on Nashville Ave. after a grill caught fire. The accident on Hwy. 21 was called into the AFD at 12:58 p.m.
Firefighters responded to another trash fire at 1:25 p.m. After a false alarm call, they responded to Z-Tel on Brookwood Road where lightning struck. Officials remained on site to make sure there were no electrical fires ignited.
At 6:23 p.m., the AFD made good on a mutual aid agreement with Walnut Hill where they responded to Pine Forest Road.
A structure fire sent the firefighters to Pressley Road where a business there sustained moderate damage.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox